Vancouver Barracks, located near Vancouver, Washington, was the first American military post in the Pacific Northwest. It was established by the U.S. Army in May of
1849 and was originally named Columbia Barracks. The installation remained the
oldest military installation (in continual operation), west oft the Mississippi river,
until it was forced to close by the Defense Department in the summer of 2011.