The nation’s first publicly owned rest area.
Picture postcard of Vista House before it was opened to the public
Construction of the Vista House atop Crown Point in Oregon began on December 29, 1916. It was built as a rest stop observatory for travelers
on the old Columbia River Gorge Highway and as a memorial honoring
Oregon’s pioneers who made their way down the Columbia River.