The patent for the adding machine was received by its inventor, William S.
Burroughs, on this day in 1888. By 1887, Burroughs had manufactured
50 machines. The straight adding and listing machine Burroughs had
invented was the company’s only product; its purchase price, $475. In
1890 first machines were demonstrated in banks in New York and St.
Lewis with some orders being accepted. The first large scale production
was undertaken in 1892. In 1895, sales had climbed to 284 machines.