Allied Radio began in 1928 as a mail-order and parts distribution arm
of Columbia Radio Corporation, selling radio sets, tubes, electronic
components, CB radios and other miscellaneous radio communications
equipment and electronic kits. In 1970 the retailer changed ownership
when Radio Shack’s parent Company, Tandy Corporation, bought both
Allied Radio & Allied Electronics. By 1973, due to legal action, the Tandy
stores were renamed Radio Shack.