The U.S. Air Force Academy’s permanent site, located near Colorado Springs.
Colorado, had not yet been completed when the first class entered, so the 306
cadets from the Class of 1959 were sworn in at a temporary site at Lowry Air
Force Base, in Denver on 11 July 1955. While at Lowry, they were housed in
renovated World War II barracks. Since there were no upper class cadets to
train the new cadets, the Air Force appointed a regiment of ATOs or Air
Training Officers to conduct training.