Construction begins on a three-story sub-basement for the Pittock Block, that would eventually house the Northwestern Electric Company’s electric sub-station and west side distribution plant. Portland newspaper publisher Henry Pittock’s home was originally on the site before construction began.
Henry Lewis Pittock (March 1, 1835 – January 28, 1919)
In 1869, businessman H.J. Heinz and partner L. Clarence Noble formed Heinz and Noble. The company operated out of the basement and first floor of the Heinz’s former farmhouse, selling bottled horseradish. The partners moved the business to Pittsburgh in 1872 and expanded operations. In 1888, Heinz bought out his partners and re-named the business H.J. Heinz Company, By the time the company was incorporated in 1900, Heinz was already the country’s leading manufacturer of ketchup, mustard, pickles, and vinegar.