In 1869, businessman H.J. Heinz and partner L. Clarence Noble formed
Heinz and Noble. The company operated out of the basement and first
floor of the Heinz’s former farmhouse, selling bottled horseradish. The
partners moved the business to Pittsburgh in 1872 and expanded
operations. In 1888, Heinz bought out his partners and re-named
the business H.J. Heinz Company, By the time the company was
incorporated in 1900, Heinz was already the country’s leading
manufacturer of ketchup, mustard, pickles, and vinegar.