In the early 1880s, Dr. Charles Browne Fleet a physician and pharmacist from
Lynchburg, Virginia, invented ChapStick as a lip balm. The handmade product,
which resembled a wickless candle wrapped in tin foil, was sold locally, and did
not have much success.
In 1912, John Morton, also a Lynchburg resident, bought the rights to the
product for five dollars. Mrs. Morton melted the pink ChapStick mixture in
their home kitchen, cooled it, and cut it into sticks. Their lucrative sales were
used to found the Morton Manufacturing Corporation.
In the early 1930s, Frank Wright, Jr., a local commercial artist was paid a
flat fee of $15 to design the ChapStick logo that is still in use today.