A Limited issue button shows artist-rendered aerial view of bridge
and land approaches.
Construction began on January 5, 1933. This was followed by the official
ground breaking ceremony held on February 26, 1933, at nearby Crissy
Field (now part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area). Mayor
Angelo Rossi of San Francisco , and Board President William P. Filmer
made speeches, and a congratulatory telegram from President Herbert
Hoover was read. Major General Craig gave the right-of-way grants to
Filmer, and Rossi and Filmer then turned a golden spade.