Burger Chef was a fast-food restaurant chain that began operating in 1954 in Indianapolis, Indiana. It expanded throughout the United States, and, at its peak
in 1973, had 1,050 locations. The chain featured several signature items, such
as the Big Shef and Super Shef hamburgers.
In 1982, the General Foods Corporation, then-owners of the Burger Chef name trademark, divested itself of the restaurant chain, gradually selling to the owners
of Hardee’s. The final restaurant to carry the Burger Chef name closed in 1996.