The U.S. Congress passed legislation in 1954 to begin construction of an Air Force Academy, and President Eisenhower signed it into law on 1 April of that year. The
legislation established an advisory commission to determine the site of the new
school. Among the panel members were Charles Lindbergh, and Lieutenant
General Herbert R. Harmon, who later became the Academy’s first superintendent. A
total of 582 sites were considered and the winner was Colorado Springs, Colorado. It
was announced by the Secretary of the Air Force, Harold E. Talbott in June of 1954.