Archive for September 24th, 2012

ADD SOME SPICE TO YOUR LIFE!

vintage oldSpice
The first Old Spice product, introduce in 1937,
was intended for females. Old Spice after shave
for men followed in 1938.

No Tags

posted by Bob Karm in CLASSIC ADS,HISTORY,TV commercial and have No Comments

OREGON HISTORY WITH EVERY SLICE!

signal station sign

signal station pizza

The above steel-paneled style Signal Gas station opened in the St. John’s area of Portland in 1939 and lasted until the late 1970s when the station was sold and
became a florist shop and its entire metal skin covered with plywood siding. In 2002,
a new owner removed the plywood, finding the metal siding largely intact. repaired
the original steel windows and its neon sign was restored. The service bay was converted into a kitchen and service counter and the waiting area into a dining
room. Antique gas pumps matching the originals were installed and the building’s
original color scheme was restored. Pizza is now being served from the old station
at 8302 North Lombard Street at North Charleston Ave.
 

Signal_Tower_Gas_Station

signal pumps

 

    

No Tags

posted by Bob Karm in Food/Drink,HISTORY,PORTLAND'S PAST and have Comment (1)

TODAY IN HISTORY

ap teletype

No Tags

posted by Bob Karm in BIRTHDAY,DEATH,HISTORY and have No Comments